Monday, August 25, 2008

Clinton Supporter Accuses Emil Jones of Caller Her An "Uncle Tom"



Chicago political consultant and Hillary Clinton supporter, Delmarie Jones, is accusing Illinois Senate President, Emil Jones of calling her an "Uncle Tom" according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Jones, has denied using the slur, but 2 witnesses claimed to have witnessed the exchange, which is detailed below:

Cobb said the confrontation started when she and Jones, who is also African-American, were talking about an earlier conversation they had at the Bud Billiken Parade in Chicago. "One day, you'll be on the right side," Cobb said Jones told her. She told him she was on the right side. She said Jones pointed at his Obama hat and said, "No, this is the right side," she said.

"Then he came up behind me. He said 'Thirty-five thousand people went to Springfield [to support Obama on Saturday],'" she said. "I said, 'Then 35,000 people drank the Kool-Aid.,' He said, 'Barack is a clean-cut guy. He never liked gutter politics, that's why the Clintons did so-and-so. ...' I said, 'I don't want to get into this. So I went over to the elevator, and he said, 'Uncle Tom!' Then he grabbed me and hugged me and started laughing. I said, 'What did you say?' I turned to Freddrenna Lyle, and I said, 'What did he say?' She wouldn't say anything, That's when I said some bad things to him."

I wrote about about Emil Jones yesterday, and he is Barack Obama's mentor. He's retiring in the fall, and it would be sad to see his legacy tarnished by unnecessary taunts to a political rival.

No comments: